Saturday, June 2, 2012

Roller Coaster Ride With My Health


The past three months have been a roller coaster ride for me.  I have had issues with my kidneys since I was about 5 months of age and recently was having more issues so my family doctor wanted to investigate further.  She referred me to a urologist and I went through some extensive tests for three months.   Nobody likes the "c" word and it totally turned my world upside down and inside out. 

Health to me is so important.  I always maintain that if a person doesn't have their health, they have nothing.  If a person is sick, nothing else really matters.  A person can have all the money in the world and it doesn't matter.

Since February of this year, and before I had this health scare,  I have been on a mission to get healthier so I am going to Weight Watchers and trying to eat healthier and get more active.  My doctor also goes to Weight Watchers and I love that she practices what she preaches.  She inspires me and motivates me.

In the past three months I have lost 20 pounds and already feel that I have more energy.  It isn't the first time I have been on a weight loss mission.  It is my third time doing this program and I truly believe losing weight is hard work, but maintaining the weight loss is even more difficult.  There are no quick fixes and it is very time consuming looking up nutritional information on every product I buy and tracking my daily points and going to meetings, trying to be more active, and try new healthy recipes, but in the bigger scope of things,  I know that it will be worth it.  It doesn't guarantee that I will fix my kidney issues, but it will give me a better quality of life.  

There are many obstacles with my weight loss journey.  I am on medications that make the journey more difficult, but not impossible.  My husband is also on this journey with me and he is doing fabulous.  He has lost 28 pounds so far and of course males lose faster than females and they get more points to eat daily too.  No, it isn't fair, but it is what it is and I'm so glad he wants to go on this journey with me.  My youngest son is twelve and I want to set an example for him and also be healthy for him and my other children who are 25 and 27 years old and married.  If grandchildren come along, I want to be able to have the energy to really have fun with them and play with them.  It will be worth it.  I am worth it.  My family is worth it.  

This journey has been interesting and I am looking forward to scrapbooking about it.  Scrapbooking is my therapy and also my way to capture the memories of the good times and the not so good times.  I really do  love the journey.  


2 comments:

  1. You have won half the bsttle: START IT! congrats! I'm sure you and your family will done this together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best (and hugs) on your journey to good health :)

    ReplyDelete