Monday, March 22, 2010

Malaria Medicine

This malaria medicine is for the birds. Rick, Clayton and I have to take it for one more week and then we are done! It has been a six week stint of taking it every Sunday. Two weeks before we went to the Dominican Republic and four weeks after. Clayton has to take a liquid form of Chloroquine and Rick and I take a tablet form. It is terrible tasting and Clayton just hates it. It upsets his stomach and he has had a lot of vomiting with it. My stomach is always upset, but no vomiting. I am thinking the alternative of getting malaria is not so good. We have secretly wanted to discontinue taking the medicine, but know it isn't a good idea. Dr. Coetzee urges us to stick with it one more week. I'm hoping I don't have to take it again when I go on the cruise in November. I think that is the downside of travelling abroad.

The good side of travelling is that it has made me become aware of how each country is so different and how lucky I am to live in a country such as Canada. Once a person leaves the beautiful resorts, it is sad to see how poor and unsanitary some countries are. The Dominican Republic was my first adventure to somewhere tropical and although I loved it, I couldn't help but think how thankful I am to live in a nice neighborhood with clean water and good living conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment