Sunday, June 20, 2010

In Honor Of Fathers



Today is Father's Day and it means a lot to me.  My Dad is special to me and I'm sure, many daughters can relate.  Father's Day also means a lot to me because of my husband being a stepfather to my older son and daughter.  It wasn't always easy, but he really tried to be there for them when they were teenagers.  I remember him surprising my daughter on her 11th birthday with a bouquet of flowers.  It was her very first bouquet that she had received.  I also remember when Brandon went to college for two years and Rick felt bad because Brandon's car was wearing out.  He bought him a car to use so he could get to school and work.

Father's Day also can be sad to me too.  My own Dad lost his son four years ago, so I'm sure that is on my dad's mind today.  Also, my niece and nephew are now 5 and 8 and they miss their daddy very much.

Dads are a special part of the dynamics of a family and as the family changes in our society, dad's roles change too.  More mothers are working outside the home and the dad isn't the sole breadwinner anymore.  He sometimes is the main cook and changes the diapers.  Boy things have changed since I was little!

Today I am making dinner for my Dad and the weather is beautiful so we will have a barbeque.  I have made the potato salad, husked the corn on the cob, make his favorite chocolate mousse pie and a banana cream pie.  He will just have to grill the hamburgers as Rick isn't home this Father's Day.  It will be nice to spend the day with him and my mom.  Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment