Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Freeze Pops

Freeze Pops scream summer and I remember when my two older children were young, I would make homemade pops for them every summer.  I was all about saving money and with the price of them in the grocery store, I thought I would make my own.  They were fun to make.  Recently, I thought I would make some for my youngest son and he loves them.  It's fun to experiment and the sky is the limit.

Pinterest was to the rescue again this week and Shirley Temple Freeze Pops sounded so yummy and it reminded me of when I was a child and my family would go out for family dinners on birthdays and I  would have a Shirley Temple and my brothers would have a Roy Rogers.  Yum!  Jo-Anna, from A Pretty Life In The Suburbs shared this recipe on her blog so it inspired me to make them.   I have to be honest, I enjoyed the freeze pops even more.  I tweaked them and put about 3/4 Diet 7Up, one tablespoon of orange juice, and one 1 teaspoon of grenadine for each pop and them popped a maraschino cherry in each and froze them.

Grenadine, Maraschino Cherries, Orange Juice and Diet 7Up
Ready for the fridge
Check out the tea towel I found at Crate and Barrel 

I chose to use Diet 7Up because grenadine is a syrup and I didn't want to add more sugar.

My oldest son and my daughter-in-law gave me a gift card from Crate and Barrel, which is one of my favourite stores, so I bought these freeze pop containers, lots of kitchen gadgets and a book named Perfect Pops The 50 Best Classic and Cool Treats.  It was so much fun!

Perfect Pops by Charity Ferreira

Next time,  I think I'll try some Pina Colada Pops for the grown ups (you can make these with or without rum)  or some Mexican Chocolate Pops.  Summer is sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment